Saturday, July 19, 2008

cafe paloma

I know what you're thinking, and you're right. Where have I been this week? Rest assured, dear readers, that while I may have been too busy to tell you about it, I haven't given up food. So let's catch up, shall we?

This week I finally made it to Cafe Paloma, after about a year of meaning to but never making it. I actually tried once, at noon on a friday. Couldn't get a table then. And the same was true this week, we settled for take out.

cafe paloma eggplant panini sandwich
Eggplant is rarely done this well

I'm going to say right now, take out is not the way to go. I think part of the point of Paloma is sitting round a table with friends sipping wine and talking. For an hour, hour and half. I think you lose something when you scarf down your nosh at the office lunch table then rush back to your task list.

Atmosphere isn't the only thing going on at Paloma though. There is the food, and it is really good. Of course, the price reflects that. We're at the fuzzy line between $ and $$ just getting a quick sandwich here. It's $ on the menu but you'll need a ten spot and a handful of change to get your eggplant panini out of the building. (I think their online menu is out of date. I'm pretty sure it's more like 9.50 now)

cafe paloma prosciutto panini sandwich
My fully omnivorous friend reports good things about the prosciutto

I was left a little hungry by my sandwich. I think I skipped breakfast that day though, so don't listen to me. It was hella flavorful, sweet and tangy. The salad had a citrus dressing that popped like orville redenbacher. And that's what's important.

Paloma has moved from my places-to-try list to the places-to-revisit-and-sit-down-relax-have-some-olives-and-some-wine-and-generally-spend-some-serious-time-at- list, which I just made up. It's a new list, just for Paloma. I have to be honest, that's probably not going to be an esculents visit; too many dollar signs... Ah, hell, I'll tell you about it anyway.

[where: 93 Yesler Way, Seattle, WA 98104]
Cafe Paloma on Urbanspoon

No comments: