Saturday, August 2, 2008

mangosteen pit


mangosteen pit
Originally uploaded by leff
I know I've been bad, and I haven't blogged much this week. It's been busy. But today we found Mangosteens. Rakka's been looking for them for about a month, then there they were at metropolitan market.

They're really tasty, but I really don't know how people open them up so cleanly. (the picture on wikipedia is beautiful). I think they must use saws or something. I had to hack away at this one with a knife.

mangosteen

2 comments:

santos. said...

if you are having problems opening them, they are probably a little, or maybe even a lot, old. a fresh mangosteen will open with just a little pressure to the skin. just cut them in half, and you should be able to pick out the segments. more fun facts in a gratuitous link! (sorry)

leff said...

Ah ha! Now I get it!

You said it yourself: "the fruit does not travel well". I'm about 100% sure Seattle isn't mangosteen country.

Still, the fruit was good. I can't imagine how good it would be if it was fresh.