Monday, August 25, 2008

lunch at the Athina Grill

I said I might go back to the Athina Grill for lunch. I bet you never thought I'd do it this soon. Ha! Shows what you know. This might be diligence on my part, or it might be a certain girlfriend of mine who loves Greek food, and has already decided that we will become regulars.

I can't say I disagree with her. Lunch was doubly tremendous. The first tremendous came in the form of fantastic flavors all around. The second tremendous related to proportions. The aforementioned girlfriend, Rakka, was super hungry and ordered the two of us about four peoples worth of food. It was a bit excessive, really.

Still, it's good for the blog. I get to talk about way more stuff than I would otherwise. Like all of these spreads:

Hummus and baba ghanoush, and terokafteri and dolmades with tzatziki at the Athina Grill
Hummus and baba ghanoush, and terokafteri and dolmades with tzatziki, oh my!

They were all good. The dolmades were maybe a little plain. But the hummus was nice and smokey, and the terokafteri (hot cheese spread) was crazy delicious! I'd never had it before; it's closely related to pimento cheese spread [1][2]. In fact, I think terokafteri might be the inspiration for the southern classic.

All of these spreads are good on fries. Which brings me to the main course. At this point I was close to stuffed, but I had ordered the eggplant and smoked mozzarella pita. There was nothing to do but solider on. It was worth it. The sandwich was fantastic and tremendous, or fantendous, as I like to say. They offered to put some feta on top. This is a mod I heartily support; never say no to feta.

Eggplant Pita with fries at the Athina Grill
Eggplant pita with fries

Rakka had the falafel pita, which she was kind enough to let me try. It needs a goofy made up adjective too, but I limit myself to one of those per post. Let's just say it was tremastic.

So, in the end, the two of us condensed a day's worth of eating in to one meal, for about 35 dollars. I think I'm going to like being a regular at the Athina. See you there.

[where: 528 Queen Anne Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109]
Athena Grill on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We had take-out from Athina for dinner tonight: gyro + fries, lamb souvlaki pita + fries, & a huge piece of baklava for $20. Everything was fantastic, best Greek food I've had in a while. I didn't get to taste the bakalva -- M. ate it too fast. We're already talking about grabbing dinner there soon. Great recommendation! Thanks!

leff said...

No probolo, Belindas. Give us a jingle if you ever want to go there for a sit down. We're always up for Athina.