Thursday, June 5, 2008

Longhorn Outpost barbecue

I still like whistler better...*

longhorn barbecue turkey with hot sauce
Yep. That's some turkey. and vaguely hot sauce

Longhorn Barbecue Outpost is very near work. Which, to be honest, is probably the best reason to go. Unless you want to smell like wood smoke for the rest of the day (really, who doesn't?).

The smoke works though. My bus lets me off right outside. It's a kind of curse; on smokey days I'm ready for lunch at 8:45 in the morning. It also makes the turkey really really tasty. Everybody seems pretty happy with the redder choices as well.

My main beef with the place, other than the fact that it makes my puns extra bad, is it's overly cheesey, tourist grubbing style. Normally I take a pervese pleasure in these sorts of things, but Longhorn just doesn't click with me. Probably because I had to utter the phrase "I would like a Big Un" in front of my coworkers.

longhorn barbecue turkey sandwich with potato salad
It is a pretty good sized meal for $7.95 (before tax).
But it's called a "Big Un".
Ug.

As I say, the turkey is good and smokey. The hot sauce isn't hot thought. I get the spicy, I assume the mild is just ketchup.

Recently, one of my coworkers wanted to find out what a nine dollar chili dog was all about. The counter dude claimed it was the best thing on the menu. I didn't get a full report, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't hungry afterward.

longhorn barbecue chili dog
This hot mess is a chili dog. That's a lot of look.

Just call it a big bowl of chili. That's pretty much what it amounted to.

Anyway, if you're in π2 and you want some meat, Longhorn is a place for you.

*Sorry for that. I couldn't help myself.

Longhorn Barbecue Outpost on Urbanspoon
[where: 103 1st Ave S, Seattle, WA 98104]

No comments: