Friday, March 9, 2012

Scotch Devils

Scotch Devil

Makings
There be eggs
Ready for the cooking
There's been a lot of build up. Probably too much. It's a scotch egg, made with those pickled "deviled" eggs that I've been talking about for two weeks. So it's a Scotch Deviled Egg, or a Scotch Devil for short.

Back to the salt thing I was talking about in the first post. I put half a tablespoon of salt in this whole thing, but it's still bursting with flavor.

Here's how it go:


Filling

Meat part
1.25 pounds ground turkey
.5 tbs salt
1 tsp cayenne  pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
some ground pepper
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp ginger powder

Coating
1 egg (beaten) for wash
breadcrumbs with cayenne pepper

Scotch Eggs are usually made with sausage meat, and you could do that here. I didn't have any. And I didn't have any sage, which would have helped. But it's ok, because lots of hot spicy spice!

The process is pretty obvious.
  1. Mix up the Meat part.
  2. Wrap up your eggs in it (I only had 5 because I used one to test my eggs).
  3. Mix some cayenne into the bread crumbs
  4. Roll the meated eggs, one at a time, in the egg then the bread crumbs.
  5. Bake them at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
And they really do come out very tasty. The capsaicin hits first, then the vinegar from the pickled egg. Then the egg from egg. I dig it. I'll dig it again.

2 comments:

santos. said...

i totally dig it! the vinegary egg is like a deconstructed, cooked mayo, only better. then SCOTCHED. awesome job.

leff said...

Thanks! The idea just hit me one day, like a ton of bricks.